Community Information Database
Focus: January is National Birth Defects Prevention Month
The theme for 2015 is "Making Healthy Choices to Prevent Birth Defects - Make a PACT for Prevention." Although not all birth defects can be prevented, steps can be taken to increase a woman's chance of having a healthy baby. Please encourage all pregnant women and those who may become pregnant to:
- Get as healthy as possible before becoming pregnant
- Get 400 micrograms (mcg) of folic acid every day
Avoid harmful substances
- Avoid drinking alcohol and smoking
- Be careful with harmful exposures at work and home
Choose a healthy lifestyle
- Eat a healthy diet that includes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lowfat dairy, and lean proteins
- Be physically active
- Work to get medical conditions like diabetes under control
Talk to your doctor
- Get a medical checkup
- Discuss all medications, both prescription and over-the-counter
- Talk about family history
For local resources, see agencies listed under Prenatal Care.
Recently Added Agencies
The following agencies are new to the Community Information Database. They have been added within the last several months.
The Santa Cruz Library Joint Powers Authority makes no representations or warranties as to the suitability or current accuracy of this information for your particular purpose, and that to the extent you use or implement this information in your own setting you do so at your own risk. The information provided herewith is solely for your own use and cannot be sold. In no event will the Santa Cruz Library Joint Powers Authority be liable for any damages whatsoever, whether direct, consequential, incidental, special or on claim for attorney fees arising out of the use of or inability to use the information provided herewith.